Friday, March 09, 2007

V-takes, bouncing and overdubbing - OH MY!!!!






So a guy at church let me borrow this recording station that he hasn't had much time to learn... And now I can understand why! This thing is a Zoom MRS-1266 and it is VERY well apportioned! I have been through the manual a few times now, and continue to go back to it for more info or for clarification... The guys that I have talked to say that they no longer make this unit partly because it had too many features for the novices, yet just not enough (channel wise etc.) for the pros. Anyway, I am enjoying myself! So far I have only laid down some scratch tracks and things, just trying to get a feel for the capabilities of the unit, but in a little bit I will try to lay down actual stuff that I can put on a CD. One of the main problems I am haing is that I don't have a whole lot of stuff, like headphones or effects units or EQ's and stuff like that, so right now the quality (usually with a kid or two talking in the background) is only so-so. Also, I had to run the main out of the unit to my guitar amp aux in, as the home theater surround sound I have hooked up to the computer has this annoying half second delay, thus making it impossible to play and record with any accuracy.


Any way, just a new post since it's been a while... I am trying to spend more time on the recorder than on the computer... breaking old habits with new ones..... This should be fun. Big Red would be proud. So far I have laid down six tracks of guitar, bounced all that down to two tracks and laid down three vocal tracks (with harmonies....) the unit has a great rythm section with any drum kit and/or beat you can imagine! You can also create your own beats and rythm songs with the drum pads (something else I had problem doing with that pesky half second delay...) So far I have almost looked at the recorder as much as I have looked at the manual for the recorder.... But I am making headway...


Check out the "old product" info ton the ZOOM page for more info: http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/mrs1266/


I'm sure BigRed will.....


On another note I spoke with Chris Horner the other day! He says he is doing well, and is enjoying married life. I told him we needed to get together next time I'm off... Which will be a week from now....... anywho..... Haven't talked to him in a while....

4 Comments:

At 5:29 PM, Blogger Big Red said...

Cool! I still need an interface to break the 'recorded on my home computer with the mic that it came with' sound, but I've already got the processing gear that I need to put inline, and I can record 72 tracks with no problems (except they sound not-as good as they could)... Glad to see you back into playing (sort of) and hope to hear some tunes soon!

Good to hear that Chris is doing well, tell him I say Hi!

 
At 5:51 PM, Blogger The Bass Player's Wife said...

Uh-huh. So this is what has kept you off the forums lately. BTW, in case you didn't notice, I have your back there.

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Big Red said...

Dude, it's been way too long, we need to know what's going on in your world......

or

I've posted some new blog stuff so now you have to.........

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Big Red said...

Dude, it has been over a year, post something new

 

Post a Comment

<< Home